Green is the colour of life, nature, renewal and energy. Colour associated with growth, freshness and harmony. Green technology combines the best technology and science can offer in an environmentally friendly way. It is the production of the clean energy using alternative fuels and technologies less harmful to the environment. Green technology is a real deal. Sustainable, future-oriented and caring. The goal of green technologies is to protect the environment and sometimes even reverse damage done by previous generations.
To be honest green technology is not only environmentally friendly and responsible but also very on trend. Investors are becoming increasingly aware of the green technologies due to climate change and depletion of natural resources. So you better go green, or go home!
We went green. So we are truly proud that experienced in renewable energy generation, Latvia provides an excellent environment for green energy generation. Being the main exporter of green technology in the EU, Latvia has potential to expand this sector, equipped with skilled labour, long-standing experience and the necessary resources. Latvia’s efforts to improve energy efficiency and increasing enrolment figures for degree programmes relevant to the sector further add to the industries’ potential.
Also as sustainability and corporate responsibility is trending amongst companies some local bank's have special loan programs for the sustainable and socially responsible companies. And there are even green tech investment projects available, for example, in the wind energy area.
Solar, Wind energy, Combined Heat and Power, Component manufacturing for energy industry
- This is one of the most forward thinking and progressive sectors you can think of. Traditionally a leading sector in Latvia.
- In order to implement green technologies to the utmost and most profound level you need some back-up. We have it. Latvia has an easy access to raw materials thanks to advantageous geographic location.
- Green technologies require careful managing how resources are acquired, stored and transported to the final destination in the most efficient and environmentally friendly way. We are set here as Latvia has excellent logistics infrastructure.
- You can have the best tools, technologies and devices but if nobody knows how to use them, they become meaningless. Not our case as we have a competitive labour force.
- How to be profitable? Make products with high value and make them better than others. We are highly competitive in higher value products.
- Industry as refined as green technology requires state-of-the-art and advanced production processes. We offer shift toward more sophisticated production.
- Fortum is a leading green energy company developing and providing clean-energy solutions for customers in heating, electricity and cooling. In more than 40 countries around the globe the company operates 128 hydroelectric power stations as well as 26 cogeneration, condensation and nuclear power plants. Fortum focuses on CO2 emission reduction and encourages society to drive the change towards a cleaner world.
- East Metal has over 40,000 m2 of production space at its disposal divided into four plants in Latvia and Denmark. East Metal excels as a reliable partner in handling projects of complex steel structures and components as well as manufacturing projects for the wind energy sector, transport equipment, cranes and lifting gear as well as produce machinery and machine parts for the manufacturing industry.
- CNC SAAN is a metal processing company working with metal milling, turning, welding and CMM measuring. The main export countries of the company are Sweden, Norway, Germany and Denmark. The further development of CSNN includes such industries as machine-building, power industry, agriculture, forest exploitation, field of oil/gas and furniture.
- Energofirma Jauda is one of the largest producers of electrical materials and equipment in the Baltic countries with more than 50 years of experience. The company produces products for energetics and electrification including compact substations, low and medium voltage equipment, metal constructions and metal ware.
- Eliminating emissions to zero level is not a fairy-tale. Currently Latvia is finalizing National Energy and Climate plan for 2030 (NECP) and has set plans to reach zero net emissions by 2050.
- The crosscut of Latvian energy consumption (2018): natural gas 24.4%, oil products 44.7%, wooden biomass 30.9%.
- We are shifting more and more towards renewable energy resources. Share of renewable energy resources in gross final consumption of energy in 2017 was 39% (3rd in EU) (target for 2020 – 40%).
Employment and education
- Green technologies field is new and appealing attracting many forward-thinking minds. More than 2000 employees at the field of green technologies.
- It is always a good idea to consult and cooperate with others. Green-Tech Cluster or Green and Smart Technology Cluster is an organization for cross-sectoral cooperation bringing together companies, educational and research institutions, as well as other organizations that partly or fully operate in the industries of green and smart technologies. There are 66 active member companies in the cluster.
- The first steps can be difficult in any sector and business. But you should never allow the first bump on the road to derail you. Green Industry Innovation Center or Green Technology incubator has been developed to support and encourage businesses involved in green industry innovation.
- But where do all the emerging specialists in the green technology sector come from? Well, search in our capital Riga. University of Latvia and Riga Technical University are the leading education institutions in the field.